Inspiring Ideas

In 1932, the Annual Review of Biochemistry was published – the first series in the Annual Reviews portfolio.  Annual Reviews is a non-profit publisher “dedicated to synthesizing and integrating knowledge for the progress of science and the benefit of society.” They publish sets of reviews across nearly 50 disciplines in science and social science. Each review is intended to authoritative for the field, synthesizing theory, research and practice on important and timely topics as noted by the leading experts in each field.

In 2018, Annual Reviews published more than 1200 review articles. This week, they shared those most downloaded and read. They are incredibly diverse – a few that might be of interest to some of our faculty include reviews on gender stereotypes, immigration, designing difference in difference studies, single-cell gene expression, plastics in the marine environment, emotions and decision making, several on CRISPR and one on weird animals, sex and genome evolution.

Over the years, I have read with great interest articles from the Annual Reviews of Psychology and Public Health along with those in Nutrition, Immunology and Biomedical Data Science (among others).  I read them for intellectual curiosity, to consider for use in my classes, and to fuel my own research agenda. For example, it is quite typical for an article in the Annual Reviews to highlight trajectories and gaps in the field of study.  I have used these expert opinions to provide a seed of an idea or the rationale for funding my next research project.

The very first article in this extensive series published in 1932 was on permeability (Rudolf Höber).  More than 80 years later, these reviews continue to promote inquiry and discourse, inspire and drive discovery

.